Your final project is to create an original Web site on a topic of your choice, within these guidelines.
To receive credit for this exercise you must submit the final project feedback form before it expires. This exercise is due on 6/3/13. Allowing for a one-day grace period, the form will expire at the end of the day following the due date, which means the form for this exercise will expire at 12:00 AM on 06/05/13.
All final projects must meet these requirements
- Mandatory folder structure: All files (Web pages, images, style sheets, etc.) associated with your final project must be in one folder (although this final project folder may contain subfolders). Your final project folder must be be inside your public_html folder in the class folder on the webhawks.org server. You may not use other Web space that you may have available to you outside of class for your final project.
- Your final project's home page file must be named "index.html".
- Raw files (such as Photoshop psd files), sounds, movies, or other files not used by your project's Web pages must not be stored on the server.
- All links must be relative (with the exception of links to external sites, which of course need to be full URLs).
- Eight pages minimum. (An external stylesheet is not a Web page.)
- A coherent content theme.
- A consistent look and feel.
- A site map, containing a link to every Web page of your final.
- All photos and images must be optimized.
- All photos and images must be used only with the permission the of copyright holder.
- All photos and images must be credited. If you do not wish to place a credit by each image, you may place all the credits on a separate page.
- Tables may not be used for page layout (tables may be used for tabular data or to lay out forms).
- The final project feedback form must be submitted by the due date.
No final projects will be accepted late
To receive credit for the final, you must submit the final project feedback form on time, even if you have not finished your project. Failure to finish on time due to poor time management is not grounds for an incomplete.
How final project points are calculated
|50||5 points for each Web page, up to 50 points, that contains all of
|12||A working CGI fill-in form (that reflects the theme of your site) that
sends email, and sends the user to a "thank you" page after the
submit button is pressed. 3 points for the use of each different type of
form tags, up to 12 points:
|10||2 points for the use of each different property of the following properties
in an external style sheet, up to 10 points (this style sheet must validate,
|10||2 points for each use of a different CSS class and/or ID, up to 10 points. A pseudo-class does not count as a class.|
|8||2 points for each use of a different CSS pseudo-class, up to 8 points.|
|10||2 points for each different image related to your site's theme, up to 10 points. You do not have to create any images. The validator buttons do not count.|
|5||The use of an external default or screen style sheet with all pages, to control text, font, color, and background formatting. This style sheet must validate.|
|4||2 points for each list (unordered, ordered, or definition) up to 4 points. A nested list can count as a separate list.|
|2||2 points for the use of an image as a link. You do not have to create any images. The validator buttons do not count.|
|20||The use of CSS positioning and/or floats as the primary method of layout for all the pages of your site.|
|5||A site map, containing a link to every Web page of your final, and no links to pages that are not part of your final. The site map must be its own page.|
|5||Personal presentation of your final project site in front of the class.|
|2||A link from your webhawks home page to your final project's home page.|
|2||A link from your final project's home page to your final project's site map page.|
|125*||125 total maximum points; *you don't have to do everything here to get 125. (If you do more than 125, you only get 125.)|
|Errors that result in lost credit|
|-10||Not submitting the final project feedback form by the due date.|
|-10||Storing raw files (such as Photoshop psd files), sounds, movies, or other files not used by your project's Web pages, on the server.|
|-20||Not following the mandatory folder structure outlined above.|
|-5||-5 points for each broken link.|
|-5||-5 points for each broken image.|
|-5||-5 points for each unoptimized image.|
|-5||-5 points for each uncredited image.|
|-5||-5 points for each page not linked to from your site map.|
|-5||-5 points for each page that does not validate according to the W3C's HTML 5 standard and/or the W3C's CSS 3 standard.|
|-25||Not having at least 8 pages.|
|-10||Using tables for page layout (tables may be used for tabular data or to lay out forms).|
|-10||Using movies without prior approval.|
|-10||Using Flash without prior approval.|